Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lucy's Birth Story: A Guest Post By Valorie Rogers

*Our daughter Lucy Kay Marie Rogers was born February 4th, 2014. My wife Valorie recounts her birth story. It was originally titled:

 

There and Back Again...

A Mother's Tale By

Valorie Rogers

 

Lucy's calculated due date was January 24th. Of course we all know that babies come in God's timing and not our own. I finished working on the 23rd. Lucy's due date came and went. Matt's birthday, Dena's birthday, my grandma's birthday and January all passed by and still no signs of her coming out. The Super Bowl came and went, still no Lucy. I would often look down at my belly and wonder what she looked like, what she would grow up to be like, and most of all, I would pray for her. Everytime we went to church or I talked with anyone, they would ask if I was having any contractions. "Nope" I would reply, and smile and give my schpeel about waiting, trying to be patient in my heart. It is much easier to keep up appearances of patience than it is to actually be patient in my heart. Matt and I wanted to have an unmedicated birth. This is what we had planned and prepared for by attending the 10 week Birth Boot Camp. Lucy's heart beat was strong at every appointment and she was continuing to grow, so we continued to wait. We knew that she would come out eventually, in God's perfect timing, although in that last week and a half there were many jokes about her taking so long that she would eventually walk out.

Matt and I spent the last week doing our favorite thing, spending time with each other. We went on a date nearly everyday. I believe that this is one of the reasons that Lucy was "late." It allowed us precious time to spend together soaking in the last days of it being just the two of us. God was using this time to grow us and strengthen us.

On Monday, February 3rd, I woke up at about 6:45am with some contractions. They would come and go, but they wern't regular or anything worth timing. I was super excited! Maybe today would be the day! The morning went on and the contractions actually seemed to subside. We went to our appointment with Joni(our wonderful midwife) at 1pm. She checked me to see if Lucy's head was in the right position and it was. I was dilated to 3cm and 60% effaced. Lucy's heart beat was good and strong! Because we were at 41 weeks and 3 days we discussed doing a biophysical profile the next day and decided to do go ahead and schedule it at the ultrasound place. Matt and I went to eat lunch at Rooster's in Denton. While sitting at the table the contractions started again! This time they were much stronger. It made it to where I could barely sit still and at one point before we even ordered, I told Matt we might have to just go home. We ended up staying anyways, as eating a good meal at the start of labor is what they told us to do in Birth Boot Camp.

When we got home I tried to lay down. I laid on the bed for about an hour before I had to get up. I moved to the couch to watch Downton Abbey(my new favorite show!) I went back and forth between the yoga ball and the couch. The contractions kept getting stronger and Matt decided we needed to start timing them. At 4:30 or 5:00pm Matt went ahead and called Joni and Alexa( our amazing doula,) to let them know we were in active labor. Contractions were getting stronger and closer together.

During the pregnancy Matt read The Lord Of The Rings series. So there had been a lot of LOTR references in our house. Sometime during that last week I expressed to Matt that I was a bit scared and wished we could just have the baby and not have to go through the labor to which he replied that just like Frodo had to leave the Shire and take The One Ring to Mt. Doom in order to have the adventure and story, I had to go through labor to have the baby and have the labor story(it made a lot of sense at the time.)

At 9:50pm Alexa arrived at our house. Matt was gathering all of our stuff for us to go to the birth center. At this point contractions were coming every four minutes and lasting a minute or so. They were very intense. Alexa put a hot wrap on my back which really helped. At 11pm we left the house to head to All About Babies. On the drive there I was having a hard time and Matt reminded me that the pain of childbirth was part of the curse of Adam and Eve when they ate the fruit of the Tree of The Knowledge of Good and Evil in the garden of Eden. He said God gave us the curses not just because of our disobedience, but so that we would know in the midst of those curses that this was not the way things were supposed to be and it was meant for us to cry out to him in our pain. We were not meant to go through this alone, but to call out to our Heavenly Father through the pain. This reminder to cry out to God was exactly what I needed. I began to pray silently. Knowing that God was with me all the way gave me the motivation and strength I needed.

We got to All About Babies at 11:30pm. Little Sarah was already there taking pictures! We went to one of the exam rooms and she checked me: 5cm dilated. I was kind of hoping for more like 7 or 8 in my head. I was a little disappointed because I wanted to show up to the birth center ready to push. We then went to our suite and settled in. I got in bed to relax. For most of the early morning hours I went back and forth from the bed to the birth ball. At 4:15am it seemed like my contractions were getting farther apart. Joni thought that I was getting tired, at this point I had been awake for 21 hours or so. She offered me Benadryl and Tylenol or half an Ambien. Being a nurse, I've seen too many people have crazy reactions to Ambien. I wasn't interested in being crazy AND in labor so I opted for the Benadryl and Tylenol and settled into bed with Matt laying next to me holding my hand. After about an hour of laying there, I thought to myself "I should've taken the Ambien."

At 6:20am I got really antsy and wanted to get in the water, but I wanted to make sure I was dilated enough first so Joni checked and I was 8-9cm dilated this time! I was super happy to be getting into the tub! In my head I equated getting into the tub with making progress because in my ideal birth I would labor at home, arrive to the birth center at 10cm and push the baby out in like three pushes! (lol) I always heard about those women who push like twice and there's a baby!! Well I didn't get that labor, at least not this time(maybe next time?) I got into the water and it was amazing! It had this crazy relaxing effect on me. Natural epidural? Ehh not quite, but it was still very pain relieving. It almost seemed too relaxing. It made the contractions farther apart and weaker. At 8am I got out of the tub and tried a side lying position on the bed to help things move along. Joni had everyone in the room praying for longer and stronger contractions. At 9am contractions were still going slow, so we tried to break my water with some pushing in hopes that if it broke contractions would pick back up. At 9:50am, after attempting to get it to break for a while, I asked if Joni would just break the bag of water and she did. I was ready to really push too! I got back into the tub and pushed for a bit, but again the contractions seemed to get farther apart and I couldn't feel them well enough to know when to push and I didn't have the urge to push. In addition, I wasn't giving it my all. I realized that the times I was pushing weren't really my best. Joni gave me a pep talk(one of a few throughout the labor) and asked me if I was scared to go on to the next part of labor. After encouraging me she prayed for me(also one of several times during labor). Her encouragement and prayer helped me to persevere and changed my attitude about my labor; I decided to take control of it. I didn't want to end up being a "failure to progress" labor and have to go to the hospital. I got out of the tub and pushed on the birth stool for a while. At about 1:30pm I had been pushing for quite a while and began getting tired, so Joni had me lay down and try to take a nap. This time I actually did doze off a bit because at 2:30pm or so I woke up and nearly jumped out of the bed because I finally had the urge to push!!! Everyone came back and I began pushing again. I went back and forth between pushing on the bed and the birthing stool. Finally after 24-ish hours of labor and 4 and a half hours of pushing Lucy was born at 4:16pm! Matt and I were so happy to finally meet our baby girl!

Matt was by my side the entire time! Holding my hand and encouraging me. My birth team was incredible. My doula Alexa, My midwife Joni and three other midwives were by my side the whole time, praying, helping, and encouraging me. I could not have done it without them. I was so blessed to be able to labor with all these Christian women on my side seeking The Lord on my behalf. Also, special thank you to Sarah for capturing all the sweet moments! I am so thankful for our sweet little Lucy! I may have had to leave the comfort of the "Shire," go to "Mordor" and back again, but this is where the real adventure begins!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment