Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Criswell Chapel Notes: James Draper

*Criswell Chaple Notes is a series I'm doing mostly for myself, to make the most of my chapel experience, but I think it might also benefit others or create a place where discussion can take place. My notes should be considered observations from the sermon or text and not necessarily(but not excluding) quotes from the speaker.


21 January, 2014

My Role As A Minister of the Gospel

 

1 Corinthians 3:5

What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? They are servants through whom you believed, and each has the role the Lord has given.

  • Ministers of the Gospel are primarily servants.
  • Even Jesus-centered ministries may be different from one another because God has given each of us different roles.
  • My service and success in the kingdom of God are in direct relationship.

 

1 Corinthians 3:9

For we are God’s coworkers. You are God’s field, God’s building.

  • I am working with God and others in ministry.
  • I do God's work, but only in his strength.
  • Working with God guarantees success(on his terms.)
  • As I'm working with God he is also working on me.
  • The Church is perfected by doing God's work.

 

1 Corinthians 3:16&17

Don’t you yourselves know that you are God’s sanctuary and that the Spirit of God lives in you. If anyone destroys God’s sanctuary, God will destroy him; for God’s sanctuary is holy, and that is what you are.

  • The Holy Spirit is in me and empowers my ministry by testifying about Jesus.
  • Our individual and collective holiness comes from what Jesus accomplished in his death and resurrection and the Spirit of God setting us free from sin to do good works as we walk in the Spirit.
  • Anyone working against God's bride is under his wrath.

 

1 Corinthians 4:1-2

A person should consider us in this way: as servants of Christ and managers of God’s mysteries. In this regard, it is expected of managers that each one of them be found faithful.

  • God has revealed himself to us and made us responcible for this revelation.
  • I am a faithful manager of God's mysteries by proclaiming Jesus as king.

 

Final thoughts: As the new semester begins this was a great messege to meditate on. It not only applies to preachers today, but every citizen of the kingdom of God as emissaries and missionaries in the places He has put you. Be found faithful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment